Saputo National Junior Culinary Challenge & SYSCO Great Canadian Cook Off
June 22nd, 2017
250+ Chefs and Culinary Partners from across Canada gathered for the CCFCC National Conference at the Regency Hyatt in Calgary, Alberta from May 25 – 29, 2017. Keeping with the CCFCC Tradition, each year at the National Conference there is the element of competition – the Saputo National Junior Culinary Challenge, and the SYSCO Great Canadian Cook Off.
The Saputo Junior Challenge provides Canada’s up and coming culinary leaders a chance to earn a place as one of our country’s top aspiring Chefs. Each competitor must prepare a three-course menu (starter, soup and main) for 6 people including the following:
• 1 starter using the chicken leg (cold or hot or combination of both) + Saputo Ricotta cheese.
• 1 soup using chicken stock made in competition (free choice)
• 1 main course using chicken breast (hot) + Saputo Provolone cheese.
• Each competitor must fully bone the supplied chicken demonstrating proper knife, sanitation and storage techniques.
• The menu must be prepared using two (2) whole chickens (roasters, 5lbs) and the supplied Saputo cheese.
The winners of the Saputo National Junior Culinary Challenge are:
• 1st Place – Solange Ordonez from Ontario
• 2nd Place – Christy Barkman from Manitoba
• And a tie for 3rd Place – Sarah Maw from BC and Anahita Sabzmeydani from Alberta
The guests at the President’s Gala were all thrilled to have an all-female line-up of winners for the first time recorded at the National Conference. The 1st Place winner Solange will be attending the Saputo National Junior Exchange in Niagara Falls, Ontario this summer, and the 2nd Place winner Christy Barkman will be competing in the WorldChefs Continental final in Orlando, Florida!
The SYSCO Great Canadian Cook-Off is intended for maximum exposure and promotion of the Chef and the Partners, and is held during the CCFCC conference trade show. Each province may select one (1) candidate to compete as a provincial finalist. The CCFCC/Sysco Great Canadian Cook-Off 1st place winner receives $4,000 CAD, the 2nd place winner receives $2,000 CAD and the 3rd place winner receives $1,000 CAD at the President’s Gala.
The winners of the SYSCO Great Canadian Cook-Off 2017 are:
• 1st Place – Jonathan Thauberger from Regina, SK (Executive Chef, Crave Kitchen+Wine Bar)
• 2nd Place – Birenda Pandey from Edmonton, AB (Executive Chef, Acapella Catering)
• 3rd Place – Brock Bowes from Kelowna, BC (Chef, RauDZ Creative Concepts).